Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Father's Day Camping


Ian and I went camping in Flagstaff this weekend for Father's day. It was his first campout. Connor is still a little too young to go and Linda does not like camping. They hung out at home and apparently went shopping at Target and stayed up late watching "Cars". I am hoping to get the whole family to go camping next summer. (hint hint)

Ian had a ball. He gave a running play by play and didn't stop talking until he went to sleep.

Here he is helping out with dinner, opening a can of Spaghettios, which was pretty much all he wanted to eat this weekend.

Some of his running banter -
"We are CAMPING!"
"I love the tent."
"Smores are good!"
"Daddy, can I tell you something... I love camping!"

Ian has gotten handy with the camera and took this picture of me cooking. I haven't been camping in 17 years and had a lot of fun too. I set up the way too large 8 person tent myself and got the fire going in only two tries!


Ian loved the tent. It was a spaceship, cave, AT AT Walker, and then a cave again.





On Sunday we went to the Lava Tube Cave. This is a pretty cool spot to visit if you are in Flagstaff. There is a bit of a climb down some rocks at first, but then it levels out and is 0.7 of a mile to the end. It is straight in and back so you can't get lost.
I explained to Ian how the lava tube was formed and then he explained it back to me the entire hike. He didn't stop talking for two hours straight. I take that as a sign that he really liked the cave. Here is a direct quote I got on video from him.

"Sooo... when a voltano has hot lava inside it's just called a voltano, but when the lava is dried up, it's called a lava tube."

Ian climbed the whole thing himself, refusing all offers of help from Daddy.

"Daddee, I am doing it myself. I am five!"

Climbing back out of the cave. Ian overheard another family that was heading down ask how long the cave was.
Ian - "It's 7 MILES!"
Other dad guy - "Really?" Wow that's far."
Me - "Yeah it's only .7 of a mile."
Other dad guy - "Oh."
Ian - "It took us forever!"



Climbing a tree after the cave. This is a little blurry because I was using the zoom.

Ian helping pack up the campsite on Monday morning.

Our hike in Sandy's Canyon.

We had a great time and were really tired when we got home Monday night. I posted some other pictures on facebook so feel free to check them out too.



6 comments:

Linda Murphy said...

Wow, what a great post!

Yes, to be completely I much rather camp out in Target and on my couch then in a tent. I'll go next year, but I think you should be really, really sure you want me to go.

Ian is quite the camper and explorer, not to mention voltano expert. I am really happy that you were able to take him and have a great weekend together.

Next time, take Connor too! (hint, hint)

Thomas said...

Oh I will take Connor next time. This was pretty much a practice run. Get the kinks out so when you do come camping... it is really easy.

Linda Murphy said...

I will add bug repellent, citronella, mosquito nets, fly swatters, etc to the next supply list.

But I imagine sleeping in the van shouldn't require too much pest control.

bobbie said...

You and Ian must have had a ball! He'll have quite the story to tell to his friends. Nice pictures too.

Michelle Quinno said...

That looks like a blast but I'm with Linda. I'd be camping at that hotel she posted about!

I love that last shot of Ian. So cute!

Linda Murphy said...

Hmmm, no birthday tributes here....

:)